This site is maintained and hosted by the lead library for SWASFT- Discovery Library, Derriford Hospital, Plymouth. To contact Discovery Library about this page click here but please remember that you can register with any library in the SWASFT area as detailed below.
NHS England COVID-19 Specialty guides
Clinical guide for the management of major trauma patients
Clinical guide for the management of noncoronavirus patients requiring acute treatment
Reference guide for emergency medicine
Guidance for the role and use of non-invasive respiratory support in adult patients with coronavirus (confirmed or suspected)
Urgent and Emergency Musculoskeletal Conditions Requiring Onward Referral
Urgent and emergency musculoskeletal conditions in children (under 16) requiring onward referral
Clinical guide for the management of neurotrauma patients
Clinical guide for the management of trauma and orthopaedic patients
Clinical guide for the management of stroke patients during the coronavirus pandemic
Clinical guide for the management of acute burns patients
Resuscitation Council UK
Statements on COVID-19, CPR and Resuscitation
College of Paramedics
COVID-19 daily alert research bulletin
Public Health England Knowledge and Library Services produce a daily alert containing links to research and news on the latest coronavirus outbreak.
If you would like to receive this email alert, which contains latest research articles and news from government departments, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
They also have created the Finding the evidence: Coronavirus page.
Elearning for Health (ELfH) COVID-19 programme –
part of Health Education England’s elearning suite in partnership with the NHS and Professional Bodies including COVID-19 elearning resources for Paramedics
The library is currently open to swipe card access so if you have borrowed a visitor card this should give you access as usual. Unfortunately, if you do not have a card we cannot currently guarantee a member of staff will be available to let you in during usual staffed hours.
07/10/2020 New edition Issue 84 & COVID-19 Supplement of the SWASFT version of the national Prehospital Emergency Services Current Awareness Update
New ebook content added 05/10/2020
Applied Anatomy for Clinical Procedures at a Glance. Sturgess, J. (2020)
Care of the Acutely Ill Adult, 2nd ed. Creed, F. (2020)
Emergencies in Anaesthesia, 3rd ed. Martin, A. (2020)
Human Factors in Paramedic Practice. Rutherford, G. (2020)
Medical Statistics Made Easy, 4th ed. Harris, M. (2020)
Note you will need a local NHS Athens account to access (register here)
Access to physical library resources and services
Electronic resources are available to all SWASFT staff and students irrespective of location, and details of how to access are listed in the other sections on this page
COVID-19 update – library access
SWASFT staff are usually able to visit and join any NHS library in the SWASFT area to receive face-to-face training. At present a number of libraries across the area have moved to remote-only services or significantly reduced staffing. Should you require access to resource training during this challenging time please email the Lead Library for SWASFT email@example.com (please include contact phone number) and an online session can be arranged.
Databases (GUIDES AND VIDEOS)
Search the NHS healthcare databases:
- AMED- covers topics for allied health professions including paramedics.
- British Nursing Index (BNI)- primarily of use for nurses but also includes allied health,
- CINAHL- international nursing & allied health incl. paramedics
- EMBASE- primarily European biomedicine- particularly good for pharmacology
- EMCARE-international nursing & allied health
- HMIC- health service management & organisation incl grey literature
- MEDLINE- most health topics including pre-hospital care
- PsycINFO- psychology & psychiatry including psychological aspects of trauma/injury
Note- you will need an NHS Athens login.
Databases contain bibliographic records i.e. references. Whilst you won’t have fulltext access to all the articles, for some journals there will be a link to online access.
If an article you need is not available- please consider making an article request.
Contact your local NHS library for details of their face-to-face information skills training programme or contact Discovery Library if you require help with a literature search or remote training assistance.
Evidence Based Practice and CPD
A range of evidence-based resources are available to help inform patient care including:
- BMJ Best Practice (don’t use Internet Explorer, choose alternative browser)
Evidence-based research, guidelines and expert opinion offering step-by-step guidance on diagnosis, prognosis, treatment and prevention.
****Note you will need a local NHS Athens account (register here).
When prompted to Find your Organisation, type NHS in England.
On 1st access you’ll be asked to create personal account to download free App***
- BNF and BNF for Children–should work automatically on NHS networked machine, if outside NHS network login with NHS Athens account.
Click here to find out about the free BNF/BNFC App.
- ClinicalKey– clinical insight search tool which also gives access to over 1100 electronic books and 500 journals and other fulltext resources
Note you will need an NHS Athens account (register here).
- Clinical Knowledge Summaries (CKS)– provided by NICE. Summaries of the current evidence base & practical guidance on best practice for >300 primary care presentations, regular updates to all topics and up to 10 new topics each year
- Cochrane Library– collection of databases (details here) containing different types of high-quality, independent evidence such as Systematic Reviews, RCTs and Health Technology Assessments.
- Elearning for Health (ELfH) -Health Education England’s suite of high quality content free of charge training (topics incl. Paramedic programme, COVID-19 programme including COVID-19 elearning resources for Paramedics) in partnership with the NHS and Professional Bodies.
Note you will need a local NHS Athens account (register here)
- NICE Evidence– access to authoritative clinical & non-clinical evidence and best practice through a web-based portal. provided by NICE.
- TRIP Database– clinical search tool designed to allow health professionals to rapidly identify the highest quality clinical evidence for clinical practice.
Selected Prehospital and Emergency Medicine journals below
If we don’t hold your required article you can consider making an article request via the library.
|Academic Emergency Medicine||1997-|
|Air Medical Journal||2007-|
|American Journal of Emergency Medicine||2007-|
|Annals of Emergency Medicine||2007-|
|British Journal of Healthcare Assistants||2016-|
|Disaster & Military Medicine||2015-|
|Emergency Medicine Australasia||2005-|
|Emergency Medicine Clinics of North America||2007-|
|Emergency Medicine Journal (EMJ)||1984-|
|Health Services Research||2002-|
|International Paramedic Practice||2016-|
|Journal of Emergency Medicine||2007-|
|Journal of Paramedic Practice (online)||2014-|
|Journal of Paramedic Practice (print)||2009-||If you need a pre-2014 article from JPP please email the library with full details of article required using your SWASFT email and we will scan and send copy (within Copyright limits).|
|Prehospital Emergency Care||1997-|
|Visual Journal of Emergency Medicine||2015-|
The electronic book stock available to SWASFT can be found by doing a search in the SWIMS catalogue.
and limiting your search to SWASFT holdings.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have a query about accessing print book stock.
You may find the following useful for keeping up-to-date.
- Prehospital Emergency Services Current Awareness Update (locally edited SWASFT version with relevant fulltext links)
Provides a digest of information supporting evidence based practice in pre-hospital, ambulance and emergency services incl. recent research, news and policy items, and relevant reports. Update is commissioned by the National Ambulance Research Steering Group.
- Current Awareness bulletins created by the Library & Knowledge Service for NHS Ambulance Services in England
–Emergency Preparedness, Resilience and Response
–Further Research Needed
-Telephone Support in Prehospital Care
- Pinboards for latest prehospital and paramedicine research created by North West Ambulance Service Librarian, Matt Holland. Includes topics such as
- Paramedic Practice,
- Older People and Prehospital Care
- Emergency Preparedness, Resilience and Response
- Feeds for the major journals in prehospital and emergency care
If you have problems accessing any of the content listed on this page please contact email@example.com marking FAO Laura.