This site is maintained and hosted by Discovery Library, Derriford Hospital and gives details of selected content available in
Emergency Medicine and Acute Care
for staff/students on placement
across the Plymouth, SWASFT & SCAS health community.
Click here to visit our main library website.
If you have problems or comments/suggestions about resources please
phone 39111 or email firstname.lastname@example.org marking FAO Laura.
NHS England COVID-19 Specialty guides
Emergency Medicine Guides
Clinical guide for the management of major trauma patients
Clinical guide for the management of noncoronavirus patients requiring acute treatment
Guidance for the role and use of non-invasive respiratory support in adult patients with coronavirus (confirmed or suspected)
Urgent and Emergency Musculoskeletal Conditions Requiring Onward Referral
Urgent and emergency musculoskeletal conditions in children (under 16) requiring onward referral
Clinical guide for the management of neurotrauma patients
Clinical guide for the management of trauma and orthopaedic patients
Clinical guide for the management of stroke patients during the coronavirus pandemic
Clinical guide for the management of acute burns patients
Clinical guide for the management of people with alcohol dependence
Resuscitation Council UK
Statements on COVID-19, CPR and Resuscitation
Royal College of Emergency Medicine
COVID-19 daily alert research bulletin
Public Health England Knowledge and Library Services produce a daily alert containing links to research and news on the latest coronavirus outbreak.
If you would like to receive this email alert, which contains latest research articles and news from government departments, please contact email@example.com.
They also have created the Finding the evidence: Coronavirus page.
Elearning for Health (ELfH) COVID-19 programme –
part of Health Education England’s elearning suite in partnership with the NHS and Professional Bodies.
New ebook content added 22/10/2020
Care of the Acutely Ill Adult, 2nd ed. Creed, F. (2020)
Emergencies in Anaesthesia, 3rd ed. Martin, A. (2020)
Note you will need a local NHS Athens account to access (register here)
Databases (GUIDES AND VIDEOS)
Search the NHS healthcare databases:
AMED- covers topics for allied health professions
British Nursing Index (BNI)- primarily of use for nurses but also includes allied health, CINAHL- international nursing & allied health
EMBASE- European biomedicine– good for pharmacology & drug therapy
EMCARE-international nursing & allied health
HMIC- health service management & organisation incl grey literature
MEDLINE- most health topics including pre-hospital and emergency care
PsycINFO- psychology & psychiatry including psychological aspects of trauma/injury
Note- you will need an NHS Athens login.
Databases contain bibliographic records i.e. references. Whilst you won’t have fulltext access to all the articles, for some journals there will be a link to online access or details of library print holding. If we don’t hold your required article you can consider making an article request via the library.
See the library website for details of our information skills training programme and literature searching support services.
Evidence Based Practice and CPD
A range of evidence-based and other resources available to help inform patient care or support your study including:
- BMJ Best Practice (don’t use Internet Explorer, choose alternative browser)
Evidence-based research, guidelines and expert opinion offering step-by-step guidance on diagnosis, prognosis, treatment and prevention.
Note you will need a local NHS Athens account (register here).
When prompted, set up a personal account to download free App
- BNF and BNF for Children–should work automatically on NHS networked machine, if outside NHS network login with NHS Athens account.
Click here to find out about the free BNF/BNFC App.
- ClinicalKey– clinical insight search tool which also gives access to over 1100 electronic books and 500 journals and other fulltext resources
Note you will need a local NHS Athens account (register here)
- Clinical Knowledge Summaries (CKS)– provided by NICE. Summaries of the current evidence base & practical guidance on best practice for >300 primary care presentations, including injuries
- Cochrane Library– collection of databases (details here) containing different types of high-quality, independent evidence such as Systematic Reviews, RCTs and Health Technology Assessments.
- Elearning for Health (ELfH) -Health Education England’s suite of high quality content free of charge training (topics incl. COVID-19 programme Acute Medicine, Emergency Med & Emergency Medicine SAS, Managing Frequent Attenders) in partnership with the NHS and Professional Bodies.
Note you will need a local NHS Athens account (register here)
- NICE Evidence-access to authoritative clinical & non-clinical evidence/best practice and guidelines incl. NICE Injuries, Accidents & Wounds guidelines.
- TRIP Database– clinical search tool designed to allow health professionals to rapidly identify the highest quality clinical evidence for clinical practice.
- UpToDate– ‘an evidence-based clinical decision support resource authored by physicians to help healthcare practitioners make the best decisions at the point of care’. Note you will need a University Hospitals Plymouth NHS Trust Athens account (register here).
Selected Emergency Medicine and Acute Care journals below
If we don’t hold your required article you can consider making an article request via the library.
The majority of Emergency Medicine print books held at Discovery Library will be found on shelf WD450. Emergency Medicine exam books will be found at WD418
This is a regional NHS catalogue, so in location select ‘Plymouth, Derriford Hospital, PLY’ to limit your search to books held here.
You can also log in and renew your books here (if you have not already made a pin number for your library account follow the instructions on screen).
Selected emergency medicine & critical appraisal ebooks 2008- . Click title to login with Athens account. If asked you should always select to login with OpenAthens
You may find the following external websites useful for keeping up-to-date.
Prehospital Emergency Services Current Awareness Update (locally edited version)
Provides a digest of information supporting evidence based practice in pre-hospital, ambulance and emergency services incl. recent research, news and policy items, and relevant reports. Update is commissioned by the National Ambulance Research Steering Group.