This site is maintained and hosted by Discovery Library, Derriford Hospital and gives details of selected content available in
Ophthalmology & Eye Care
for staff/students on placement
across the Plymouth, SWASFT & SCAS health community.
Click here to visit our main library website.
If you have problems or comments/suggestions about resources please
phone 39111 or email email@example.com marking FAO Laura.
NHS England COVID-19 Specialty guides
Clinical guide for the management of ophthalmology patients
Royal College of Ophthalmologists
COVID-19 clinical guidelines for ophthalmologists
COVID-19 daily alert research bulletin
Public Health England Knowledge and Library Services produce a daily alert containing links to research and news on the latest coronavirus outbreak.
If you would like to receive this email alert, which contains latest research articles and news from government departments, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
They also have created the Finding the evidence: Coronavirus page.
Elearning for Health (ELfH) COVID-19 programme –
part of Health Education England’s elearning suite in partnership with the NHS and Professional Bodies.
New ebook content added 02/04/2020
Salmon, J. (2020) Kanski’s clinical ophthalmology: a systematic approach. 9th ed. s.l.: Elsevier.
Note you will need a local NHS Athens account to access (register here)
Search the NHS healthcare databases:
AMED- covers topics for allied health and scientists incl. optometrists and orthoptists
British Nursing Index (BNI)- primarily of use for ophthalmic nurses & support staff
CINAHL- international nursing & allied health
EMBASE- primarily European biomedicine journals incl ophthalmology
EMCARE– international nursing and allied health
HMIC- health service management & organisation incl grey literature
MEDLINE- most health topics including ophthalmology and eye care
PsycINFO- psychology & psychiatry including health psychology & trauma
Note- you will need an NHS Athens login.
Databases contain bibliographic records i.e. references. Whilst you won’t have fulltext access to all the articles, for some journals there will be a link to online access or details of library print holding. If we don’t hold your required article you can consider making an article request via the library.
See the main library website for details of our information skills training programme and literature searching support services.
Evidence Based Practice and CPD
A range of evidence-based and other resources available to help inform patient care or support your study including:
- BMJ Best Practice (don’t use Internet Explorer, choose alternative browser)
Evidence-based research, guidelines and expert opinion offering step-by-step guidance on diagnosis, prognosis, treatment and prevention.
Note you will need a local NHS Athens account (register here).
When prompted, set up a personal account to download free App
- BNF and BNF for Children–should work automatically on NHS networked machine, if outside NHS network login with NHS Athens account.
Click here to find out about the free BNF/BNFC App.
- ClinicalKey – clinical insight search tool which gives access to over 1100 electronic books & 500 journals & other fulltext resources
Note You will need an NHS Athens account to access
- Clinical Knowledge Summaries (CKS)– provided by NICE. Summaries of the current evidence base & practical guidance on best practice for >300 primary care presentations, including Eyes specialty.
- Cochrane Library– collection of databases (details here) containing different types of high-quality, independent evidence such as Systematic Reviews, RCTs and Health Technology Assessments.
- Elearning for Health (ELfH) -Health Education England’s suite of high quality content free of charge training (topics incl. COVID-19 programme Ophthalmology) in partnership with the NHS and Professional Bodies.
Note you will need a local NHS Athens account (register here)
- NICE Evidence– access to authoritative clinical & non-clinical evidence and best practice through a web-based portal, provided by NICE, incl Eye topics.
- TRIP Database– clinical search tool designed to allow health professionals to rapidly identify the highest quality clinical evidence for clinical practice.
- UpToDate– ‘an evidence-based clinical decision support resource authored by physicians to help healthcare practitioners make the best decisions’ in diagnosis and therapeutics. Note You will need a University Hospitals Plymouth NHS Trust Athens account (register here).
Selected Ophthalmology and Eye Care journals below
If we don’t hold your required article you can consider making an article request via the library.
The majority of Opthalmology/Eye care print books held at Discovery Library will be found at classmark WW. Exam books will be found at WW18
This is a regional NHS catalogue, so in location select ‘Plymouth, Derriford Hospital, PLY’ to limit your search to books held here.
You can also log in and renew your books here (if you have not already made a pin number for your library account follow the instructions on screen).
Selected ophthalmology ebooks from 2008- listed below. Click title to login with your Athens account. If asked you should always select to login with OpenAthens
Staff who work at organisations which provide NHS-commissioned care in England are entitled to a local NHS Athens accounts, as are students on placements within these organisations- please check the eligibility criteria if you are unsure.
To register go to https://openathens.nice.org.uk/
At Step 2 type in Plymouth and select your organisation or placement organisation. Please use a work machine or NHS email address to register- once registered you can access content anywhere.