This site is maintained and hosted by Discovery Library, Derriford Hospital and gives details of selected General Practice content available to
Plymouth practice staff, out-of-hours staff and GP trainees
and all other staff/students on placement
across the Plymouth, SWASFT & SCAS health community.
If you have problems or comments/suggestions
phone 01752 439111 or email email@example.com
NHS England –
Primary Care COVID-19 guidance page including a General Practice section
Also see the COVID-19 Primary Care bulletin
Clinical guide for the management of people with alcohol dependence
Palliative care guides
Clinical guidance for healthcare professionals on maintaining immunisation programmes during COVID-19
Clinical guide for triaging patients with lower gastrointestinal symptoms
Resuscitation Council UK Statements on COVID-19, CPR and Resuscitation:
Primary Care Settings
Royal College of General Practitioners
COVID-19 resource hub
Oxford Centre for Evidence Based Medicine (CEBM)
COVID-19 Evidence Service for primary care questions
COVID-19 daily alert research bulletin
Public Health England Knowledge and Library Services produce a daily alert containing links to research and news on the latest coronavirus outbreak.
If you would like to receive this email alert, which contains latest research articles and news from government departments, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
They also have created the Finding the evidence: Coronavirus page.
Elearning for Health (ELfH) COVID-19 programme –
part of Health Education England’s elearning suite in partnership with the NHS and Professional Bodies.
Point of Care and CPD tools
- BMJ Best Practice (don’t use Internet Explorer, choose alternative browser)
Evidence-based research, guidelines and expert opinion offering step-by-step guidance on diagnosis, prognosis, treatment and prevention.
****Note you will need a local NHS Athens account (register here).
When prompted to Find your Organisation, type NHS in England.
On 1st access you’ll be asked to create personal account to download free App***
- BNF and BNF for Children
May work automatically on practice PC (if NHS networked), if not login with NHS Athens account. Click here to find out about the free BNF app
- Clinical Knowledge Summaries (CKS)– provided by NICE. Summaries of the current evidence base & practical guidance on best practice for >300 primary care presentations.
- Elearning for Health (ELfH) -Health Education England’s suite of high quality content free of charge training (topics incl. COVID-19 programme, General Practice, Mental Health Awareness, Personalised Care Planning, Leadership, Managing Frequent Attenders) in partnership with the NHS and Professional Bodies.
Note you will need a local NHS Athens account (register here)
- NICE Evidence -access to authoritative clinical & non-clinical evidence and best practice through a web-based portal. provided by NICE
Databases (GUIDES AND VIDEOS)
Search the NHS healthcare databases:
AMED- covers topics for allied health professionals & scientists
British Nursing Index (BNI)- topics for nurses & care staff
CINAHL- international nursing & allied health
EMBASE- primarily European biomedicine journals
Health Business Elite- all aspects of health service management and organisation
HMIC- health service management & organisation incl grey literature
MEDLINE- most health topics
PsycINFO- psychology & psychiatry including health psychology & trauma
Note- you will need an NHS Athens login.
Other databases available:
- ClinicalKey – clinical insight search tool which gives access to over 1100 electronic books & 500 journals & other fulltext resources
Note You will need an NHS Athens account to access
- Cochrane Library– collection of databases (details here) containing different types of high-quality, independent evidence such as Systematic Reviews, RCTs and Health Technology Assessments.
- TRIP Database– clinical search tool designed to allow health professionals to rapidly identify the highest quality clinical evidence for clinical practice.
For some journals there will be a link to online access or a print journal shelf (please email with full reference if you would like a copy of a print article held at Derriford).
If your required article is not available consider making an article request via the library.
See the main library website for details of our information skills training programme and literature searching support services.
Selected General Practice and Community Medicine journals below
If we don’t hold your required article you can consider making an article request via the library.
Search our print and electronic book holdings.
Note- you will need an NHS Athens login to to access ebooks.
This is a regional NHS catalogue, so in location select ‘Plymouth, Derriford Hospital, PLY’ to limit your search to books held here.
You can also log in and renew your books here (if you have not already made a pin number for your library account follow the instructions on screen).
Please email with title if you would like book posted to you.
We have the majority of the Reading Agency’s Books on Prescription lists in print.
Selected ebooks listed below. Always select to login with OpenAthens account
To register go to https://openathens.nice.org.uk/
At Step 2 type in Plymouth GPs and select GPs and Practice Staff in Plymouth.
For GPVTS rotations in acute and community hospitals type in relevant organisation
e.g. University Hospitals Plymouth NHS Trust, Livewell Southwest
Please use an NHS email address to register if you have one– once registered you can access content anywhere.