This site is maintained and hosted by Discovery Library, Derriford Hospital and gives details of selected content available to
Plymouth practice staff, out-of-hours staff and GP trainees
Click here to visit our main library website or here to see a list of clinical specialty pages
If you have problems or comments/suggestions about resources please
phone 01752 439111 or email email@example.com marking FAO Laura.
New ebook content added 02/05/18
Wuntakal, R., Hollingworth, T. and Kalidindi, M. (2018) Get through MRCOG part 2: SBAs. Boca Raton, FL; London: CRC Press.
Note you will need a local NHS Athens account to access (register here)
New print content added 04/04/2018 (click title to check availability- email to request postal loan to your work place)
Hopcroft, K. (2018) Instant wisdom for GPs: pearls from all the specialities. Boca Raton, FL; London: CRC Press.
Point of Care and CPD tools
- BNF and BNF for Children
May work automatically on practice PC (if NHS networked), if not login with NHS Athens account. Click here to find out about the free BNF app
- Clinical Knowledge Summaries (CKS)– provided by NICE. Summaries of the current evidence base & practical guidance on best practice for >300 primary care presentations.
- Elearning for Health (ELfH) -Health Education England’s suite of high quality content free of charge training (topics incl. General Practice, Mental Health Awareness, Personalised Care Planning, Leadership) in partnership with the NHS and Professional Bodies.
Note you will need a local NHS Athens account (register here)
Search the NHS healthcare databases:
AMED- covers topics for allied health professionals & scientists
British Nursing Index (BNI)- topics for nurses & care staff
CINAHL- international nursing & allied health
EMBASE- primarily European biomedicine journals
Health Business Elite- all aspects of health service management and organisation
HMIC- health service management & organisation incl grey literature
MEDLINE- most health topics
PsycINFO- psychology & psychiatry including health psychology & trauma
Note- you will need an NHS Athens login.
Other databases available:
- ClinicalKey – clinical insight search tool which gives access to over 1100 electronic books & 500 journals & other fulltext resources
Note You will need an NHS Athens account to access
- Cochrane Library– collection of databases (details here) containing different types of high-quality, independent evidence such as Systematic Reviews, RCTs and Health Technology Assessments.
- NICE Evidence– access to authoritative clinical & non-clinical evidence and best practice through a web-based portal,provided by NICE.
- TRIP Database– clinical search tool designed to allow health professionals to rapidly identify the highest quality clinical evidence for clinical practice.
For some journals there will be a link to online access or a print journal shelf (please email with full reference if you would like a copy of a print article held at Derriford).
If your required article is not available consider making an article request via the library.
See the main library website for details of our information skills training programme and literature searching support services.
If your required journal is not available consider making an article request via the library.
Direct links to selected general practice journals are listed below.
You should always select to login with OpenAthens first
|BMC Family Practice||2000-|
|BMC Public Health||2001-|
|BMJ Quality and Safety||1840-|
|British Journal of Community Nursing||2002-|
|British Journal of Nursing||1992-|
|Family Practice Management||2007-|
|GP: General Practitioner||2003-|
|Journal of Community Nursing||2004-|
|Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health||1947-|
|Journal of Medical Ethics||1975-|
|Postgraduate Medical Journal||1925-|
|Primary Care: Clinics in Office Practice||2007-|
|Primary Care Diabetes||2007-|
|Primary Care Respiratory Journal||2000-|
|Primary Health Care||2001-|
Check our print and electronic book holdings at http://www.swims.nhs.uk/
Please email with title if you would like book posted to you.
This is a regional NHS catalogue- we can obtain books from other libraries for you.
You will need to fill in registration form to take out books.
Selected ebooks listed below. Always select to login with OpenAthens
To register go to https://openathens.nice.org.uk/
At Step 2 type in Plymouth GPs and select GPs and Practice Staff in Plymouth.
For GPVTS rotations in acute and community hospitals type in relevant organisation
e.g. University Hospitals Plymouth NHS Trust, Livewell Southwest
Please use an NHS email address to register if you have one– once registered you can access content anywhere.
- NICE apps for smartphones and tablets (iOS and Android)
-BNF for Children (BNFC)