This site is maintained and hosted by Discovery Library, Derriford Hospital and gives details of selected content available to
Imaging and Radiology Academy
staff & students on placement across the Plymouth health community.
Click here to visit our main library website.
If you have problems or comments/suggestions about resources please
phone 39111 or email firstname.lastname@example.org marking FAO Laura.
New print content added 30/10/2018 (click title to check availability)
Romans, L. E. (2019) Computed tomography for technologists : a comprehensive text. Philadelphia : Wolters Kluwer.
New ebook content added 03/10/18
Hawes, R., Fockens, P. and Varadarajulu, S. (2019) Endosonography. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa: Elsevier.
Chong, V. (2018) Skull base imaging. St. Louis, Mo: Elsevier.
Note you will need a local NHS Athens account to access (register here)
New print content added 06/09/2018 (click title to check availability)
Harkness-Brennan, L. (2018) An introduction to the physics of nuclear medicine. IOP Concise Physics. San Rafael: Morgan & Claypool.
Search the NHS healthcare databases:
AMED- covers topics for allied health professions incl radiographers
British Nursing Index (BNI)- primarily of use for nurses and support staff
CINAHL- international nursing & allied health incl radiography & imaging support
EMBASE- primarily European biomedicine journals incl radiology
Health Business Elite- all aspects of health service management and organisation
HMIC- health service management & organisation incl grey literature
MEDLINE- most health topics including radiology
PsycINFO- psychology & psychiatry including health psychology & trauma
Note- you will need an NHS Athens login.
Databases contain bibliographic records i.e. references. Whilst you won’t have fulltext access to all the articles, for some journals there will be a link to online access or details of where the print journal can be found within the library.
See the main library website for details of our information skills training programme and literature searching support services.
Evidence Based Practice and other resources
A range of evidence-based and other resources available to help inform patient care or support your study including:
- ClinicalKey– clinical insight search tool which also gives access to over 1100 electronic books and 500 journals and other fulltext resources
Note You will need a Plymouth NHS Athens account
- Clinical Knowledge Summaries (CKS)– provided by NICE. Summaries of the current evidence base & practical guidance on best practice for >300 primary care presentations, including diagnostics and therapeutics.
- Cochrane Library– collection of databases (details here) containing different types of high-quality, independent evidence such as Systematic Reviews, RCTs and Health Technology Assessments.
- Elearning for Health (ELfH) –Health Education England’s suite of high quality content free of charge training (topics incl. Radiology, Image Interpretation, Radiation Safety Ionising Radiation, MRI Safety, Radiation Protection Cardiology) in partnership with the NHS and Professional Bodies.
Note you will need a local NHS Athens account (register here)
- iRefer- Making the best use of clinical radiology. radiological investigation guidelines tool, from The Royal College of Radiologists (RCR).
Access via a University Hospitals Plymouth NHS Trust network computer & select ‘Log in automatically’.
- NICE Evidence– access to authoritative clinical & non-clinical evidence and best practice through a web-based portal. provided by NICE.
- TRIP Database– clinical search tool designed to allow health professionals to rapidly identify the highest quality clinical evidence for clinical practice.
- UpToDate– ‘an evidence-based clinical decision support resource authored by physicians to help healthcare practitioners make the best decisions’ in diagnosis and therapeutics. Note you will need a University Hospitals Plymouth NHS Trust Athens account (register here).
To see the full range of journals that you have access to online & in print at the library
click here – You will need a Plymouth NHS Athens account
If your required journal is not available consider making an article request via the library.
Direct links to key online imaging journals are listed below.
You should always select to login with OpenAthens first
If we don’t hold your required article you can consider making an article request via the library.
The majority of Imaging print books held at Discovery Library will be found at classmark WN. FRCR exam books will be found at WN18
Check our print and electronic book holdings at http://www.swims.nhs.uk/ -you will need a Plymouth NHS Athens account to access ebooks.
This is a regional NHS catalogue so select ‘just in these libraries’ or click here to limit your search to books held in Plymouth.
You can also renew your books here.
Selected imaging ebooks from 2008- listed below. Click title to login with University Hospitals Plymouth NHS Trust Athens account. If asked you should always select to login with OpenAthens
The following people are entitled to register for a local NHS Athens account:
- University Hospitals Plymouth NHS Trust staff
- Students on placement at University Hospitals Plymouth NHS Trust
- Peninsula Radiology Academy staff
- Peninsula Radiology Academy trainees (If you are also on clinical placement at another NHS organisation you can register for a second account with them using an alternative email address- whilst we will have some common resources there will be unique content for each organisation too)
To register go to https://openathens.nice.org.uk/
At Step 2 type in Plymouth and select University Hospitals Plymouth NHS Trust
- NICE apps for smartphones and tablets (iOS and Android)
-BNF for Children (BNFC)