This site is maintained and hosted by Discovery Library, Derriford Hospital
and gives details of selected content available in
Intensive and Critical Care
for staff/students on placement
across the Plymouth, SWASFT & SCAS health community.
If you have problems or comments/suggestions about resources
please phone 39111 or email email@example.com
NHS England COVID-19 Specialty guides
Adult Critical Care guides
Clinical guide for the management of paediatric critical care patients
Clinical guide for the management of patients requiring transfer for specialist rehabilitation
NICE COVID-19 Rapid guidelines
Resuscitation Council UK
Statements on COVID-19, CPR and Resuscitation
Faculty of Intensive Care Medicine
COVID-19 Information, guidance and resources for intensive care & anaesthetics
British Association of Critical Care Nurses
Covid 19 Nurse Educational Resource Centre
Intensive Care National Audit and Research Centre
Latest News incl COVID-19 reports
COVID-19 daily alert research bulletin
Public Health England Knowledge and Library Services produce a daily alert containing links to research and news on the latest coronavirus outbreak.
If you would like to receive this email alert, which contains latest research articles and news from government departments, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
They also have created the Finding the evidence: Coronavirus page.
Elearning for Health (ELfH) COVID-19 programme –
part of Health Education England’s elearning suite in partnership with the NHS and Professional Bodies.
Databases (GUIDES AND VIDEOS)
Search the NHS healthcare databases:
AMED- covers topics for allied health professions
British Nursing Index (BNI)- primarily of use for nurses but also includes allied health, CINAHL- international nursing & allied health
EMBASE- European biomedicine- good for pharmacology & drug therapy
EMCARE-international nursing & allied health
HMIC- health service management & organisation incl grey literature
MEDLINE- most health topics including critical care
PsycINFO- psychology & psychiatry including psychological aspects of rehabilitation
Note- you will need an NHS Athens login.
Databases contain bibliographic records i.e. references. Whilst you won’t have fulltext access to all the articles, for some journals there will be a link to online access or details of library print holding. If we don’t hold your required article you can consider making an article request via the library.
See the library website for details of our information skills training programme and literature searching support services.
Evidence Based Practice and CPD
A range of evidence-based and other resources available to help inform patient care or support your study including:
- BMJ Best Practice (don’t use Internet Explorer, choose alternative browser)
Evidence-based research, guidelines and expert opinion offering step-by-step guidance on diagnosis, prognosis, treatment and prevention.
Note you will need a local NHS Athens account (register here).
When prompted, set up a personal account to download free App
- BNF and BNF for Children–should work automatically on NHS networked machine, if outside NHS network login with NHS Athens account.
Click here to find out about the free BNF/BNFC App.
- ClinicalKey– clinical insight search tool which also gives access to over 1100 electronic books and 500 journals and other fulltext resources
Note you will need a local NHS Athens account (register here)
- Clinical Knowledge Summaries (CKS)– provided by NICE. Summaries of the current evidence base & practical guidance on best practice for >300 primary care presentations, regular updates to all topics and up to 10 new topics each year
- Cochrane Library– collection of databases (details here) containing different types of high-quality, independent evidence such as Systematic Reviews, RCTs and Health Technology Assessments.
- Elearning for Health (ELfH) -Health Education England’s suite of high quality content free of charge training (topics incl. COVID-19 programme Intensive Care Medicine, Anaesthesia, ICU Echo/Ultrasound, Tracheostomy Safety) in partnership with the NHS and Professional Bodies.
Note you will need a local NHS Athens account (register here)
- NICE Evidence– access to authoritative clinical & non-clinical evidence and best practice through a web-based portal. provided by NICE.
- TRIP Database– clinical search tool designed to allow health professionals to rapidly identify the highest quality clinical evidence for clinical practice.
- UpToDate– ‘an evidence-based clinical decision support resource authored by physicians to help healthcare practitioners make the best decisions at the point of care’. Note you will need a University Hospitals Plymouth NHS Trust Athens account (register here).
Selected Intensive Care journals below
If we don’t hold your required article you can consider making an article request via the library.
|American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine||2003-|
|Anaesthesia and Intensive Care Medicine||2007 –|
|Anaesthesia, Critical Care & Pain Medicine||2015 –|
|BMJ Case Reports||2008-||You can also submit cases for consideration for publication in BMJ Case Reports, without having to individually pay the fellowship fee (Please email to obtain our fellowship number)|
Please see the guidelines for writing & publishing an interesting case report , instructions for authors and instructions as to how to submit a BMJ Case Report
|Critical Care Clinics||2007-|
|Critical Care Medicine||1995-|
|Current Anaesthesia & Critical Care||2007-|
|Intensive Care Medicine||2011-|
|Journal of Critical Care||2007-|
|Journal of Intensive Care||2013-|
|Lancet (1)||1992- 2 months ago|
|New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM)||1990-|
|Nursing in Critical Care|
|Trends in Anaesthesia and Critical Care||2007 –|
Search our print and electronic book holdings.
Note- you will need an NHS Athens login to to access ebooks.
This is a regional NHS catalogue, so in location select ‘Plymouth, Derriford Hospital, PLY’ to limit your search to books held here.
You can also log in and renew your books here (if you have not already made a pin number for your library account follow the instructions on screen).
Selected Intensive Care ebooks click title to login with Athens account.