This site is maintained and hosted by Discovery Library, Derriford Hospital
and gives details of selected content available in
for staff/students on placement
across the Plymouth, SWASFT & SCAS health community.
Click here to visit our main library website.
If you have problems or comments/suggestions about resources please
phone 39111 or email firstname.lastname@example.org marking FAO Laura.
NHS England COVID-19 Specialty guides
Clinical guide for the management of patients requiring plastics treatment
Clinical guide for the management of acute burns patients
British Association of Plastic Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons
COVID-19 Advice for members
COVID-19 daily alert research bulletin
Public Health England Knowledge and Library Services produce a daily alert containing links to research and news on the latest coronavirus outbreak.
If you would like to receive this email alert, which contains latest research articles and news from government departments, please contact email@example.com.
They also have created the Finding the evidence: Coronavirus page.
Elearning for Health (ELfH) COVID-19 programme –
part of Health Education England’s elearning suite in partnership with the NHS and Professional Bodies.
New ebook content added 02/04/2020
Yaremchuk, M. and Chang, C. (2020) Atlas of facial implants. 2nd ed. s.l.: Elsevier.
Pu, L. and Karp, N. (2020) Atlas of reconstructive breast surgery. Edinburgh: Elsevier Inc.
Chang, J. (2019) Global reconstructive surgery. Edinburgh: Elsevier.
Nahabedian, M. (2020) Oncoplastic Surgery of the Breast. 2nd ed. s.l.: Elsevier.
Note you will need a local NHS Athens account to access (register here)
Databases (GUIDES AND VIDEOS)
Search the NHS healthcare databases:
AMED- topics for allied health professionals
British Nursing Index (BNI)- incl topics for surgical nurses
CINAHL- international nursing & allied health incl surgical nursing & rehabilitation staff
EMBASE- European biomedicine– good for pharmacology & drug therapy
EMCARE-international nursing & allied health
HMIC- health service management & organisation incl grey literature
MEDLINE- most medical/surgical topics incl plastic surgery
PsycINFO- health psychology/psychiatry/counselling incl trauma, disfigurement/scarring
Note- you will need an NHS Athens login.
Databases contain bibliographic records i.e. references. Whilst you won’t have fulltext access to all the articles, for some journals there will be a link to online access or details of library print holding. If we don’t hold your required article you can consider making an article request via the library.
See our main library website for details of our information skills training programme and literature searching support services.
Evidence Based Practice and CPD
A range of evidence-based resources are available to help inform patient care including:
- BMJ Best Practice (don’t use Internet Explorer, choose alternative browser)
Evidence-based research, guidelines and expert opinion offering step-by-step guidance on diagnosis, prognosis, treatment and prevention.
Note you will need a local NHS Athens account (register here).
When prompted, set up a personal account to download free App
- BNF and BNF for Children–should work automatically on NHS networked machine, if outside NHS network login with NHS Athens account.
Click here to find out about the free BNF/BNFC App.
- ClinicalKey – clinical insight search tool which also gives access to over 1100 electronic books and 500 journals and multimedia resources
Note you will need a local NHS Athens account (register here)
- Cochrane Library– collection of databases (details here) containing different types of high-quality, independent evidence such as Systematic Reviews, RCTs and Health Technology Assessments.
- Elearning for Health (ELfH) -Health Education England’s suite of high quality content free of charge training (topics incl. COVID-19 programme Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery, Laser Safety) in partnership with the NHS and Professional Bodies.
Note you will need a local NHS Athens account (register here)
- NICE Evidence– access to authoritative clinical & non-clinical evidence/best practice provided by NICE.
- TRIP Database– clinical search tool designed to allow health professionals to rapidly identify the highest quality clinical evidence for clinical practice.
- UpToDate– ‘evidence-based clinical decision support resource authored by physicians to help healthcare practitioners make the best decisions at the point of care’. Note you will need a University Hospitals Plymouth NHS Trust Athens account (register here).
Selected Plastic Surgery journals below
If we don’t hold your required article you can consider making an article request via the library.
|BMJ Case Reports||2008-||You can also submit cases for consideration for publication in BMJ Case Reports, without having to individually pay the fellowship fee (Please email to obtain our fellowship number)
Please see the guidelines for writing & publishing an interesting case report , instructions for authors and instructions as to how to submit a BMJ Case Report
|Clinics in Plastic Surgery||2007-|
|ePlasty: Open Access Journal of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery||2004-|
|Facial Plastic Surgery Clinics of North America||2007-|
|International Journal of Head and Neck Surgery||2013-|
|ISRN Plastic Surgery||2013-|
|Journal of Aesthetic Nursing||2012-|
|Journal of Hand Surgery (American)||2007-|
|Journal of Hand Therapy||2007-|
|Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery||2007-|
|Microsurgery||1998-2013||Institutional non-Athens username & Password required- contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 01752439111|
|Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery||1996-|
|Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery- Global Open||2013-|
|Plastic Surgery International||2010-|
This is a regional NHS catalogue, so in location select ‘Plymouth, Derriford Hospital, PLY’ to limit your search to books held here.
You can also log in and renew your books here (if you have not already made a pin number for your library account follow the instructions on screen).
Selected plastic surgery content from 2005 onwards- (click title & login with NHS Athens)