This site is maintained and hosted by Discovery Library
and gives details of selected content available in
General Surgical & Theatres
for staff/students on placement
across the Plymouth, SWASFT & SCAS health community.
Click here to visit our main library website.
If you have problems or comments/suggestions about resources please
phone 39111 or email email@example.com marking FAO Laura.
New print content added 03/12/2019 (click title to check availability)
Fernandes, R. (2019) FRCS general surgery section 1: practice questions. Faringdon: Libri.
Wichmann, M. (2019) Gastroenterology for general surgeons. Cham, Switzerland: Springer.
Search the NHS healthcare databases:
AMED- topics for allied health professionals
British Nursing Index (BNI)- nursing and care
CINAHL- international nursing & allied health
EMBASE- European biomedicine– good for pharmacology & drug therapy
EMCARE-international nursing & allied health
HMIC- health service management & organisation incl grey literature
MEDLINE- most biomedical topics including operative surgery
PsycINFO- useful for health psychology/recovery
Note- you will need an NHS Athens login.
Databases contain bibliographic records i.e. references. Whilst you won’t have fulltext access to all the articles, for some journals there will be a link to online access or details of library print holding. If we don’t hold your required article you can consider making an article request via the library.
See the library website for details of our information skills training programme and literature searching support services.
Evidence Based Practice and CPD
A range of evidence-based and other resources available to help inform patient care or support your study including:
- BMJ Best Practice (don’t use Internet Explorer, choose alternative browser)
Evidence-based research, guidelines and expert opinion offering step-by-step guidance on diagnosis, prognosis, treatment and prevention.
Note you will need a local NHS Athens account (register here).
When prompted, set up a personal account to download free App
- BNF and BNF for Children–should work automatically on NHS networked machine, if outside NHS network login with NHS Athens account.
Click here to find out about the free BNF/BNFC App.
- Clinical Knowledge Summaries (CKS)– provided by NICE. Summaries of the current evidence base & practical guidance on best practice for >300 primary care presentations
- Cochrane Library– collection of databases (details here) containing different types of high-quality, independent evidence such as Systematic Reviews, RCTs and Health Technology Assessments.
- Elearning for Health (ELfH) -Health Education England’s suite of high quality content free of charge training (topics incl. Surgery) in partnership with the NHS and Professional Bodies.
Note you will need a local NHS Athens account (register here)
- NICE Evidence– access to authoritative clinical & non-clinical evidence and best practice through a web-based portal, provided by NICE, incl Surgical Care guidelines.
- TRIP Database– clinical search tool designed to allow health professionals to rapidly identify the highest quality clinical evidence for clinical practice.
- UpToDate– ‘an evidence-based clinical decision support resource authored by physicians to help healthcare practitioners make the best decisions at the point of care’. Note you will need a University Hospitals Plymouth NHS Trust Athens account (register here).
Selected Surgery and Theatres journals below
If we don’t hold your required article you can consider making an article request via the library.
The majority of General Surgery print books held at Discovery Library will be found on shelf WO. There are guides on the ends of book shelving to help you identify sections.
Check our print and electronic book holdings at http://www.swims.nhs.uk/ -you will need an NHS Athens account to access ebooks- click here to register.
This is a regional NHS catalogue so select ‘just in these libraries’ or click here to limit your search to books held in Plymouth.
You can also renew your books here.
Selected General Surgery ebooks from 2010 onwards.
Click title to login with Athens account. If asked you should always select to login with OpenAthens