This site is maintained and hosted by the lead library for SCAS,
Discovery Library, Derriford Hospital, Plymouth.
To contact Discovery Library click here .
NHS England COVID-19 Specialty guides
Clinical guide for the management of major trauma patients
Clinical guide for the management of noncoronavirus patients requiring acute treatment
Reference guide for emergency medicine
Guidance for the role and use of non-invasive respiratory support in adult patients with coronavirus (confirmed or suspected)
Urgent and Emergency Musculoskeletal Conditions Requiring Onward Referral
Urgent and emergency musculoskeletal conditions in children (under 16) requiring onward referral
Clinical guide for the management of neurotrauma patients
Clinical guide for the management of trauma and orthopaedic patients
Clinical guide for the management of stroke patients during the coronavirus pandemic
Clinical guide for the management of acute burns patients
Resuscitation Council UK
Statements on COVID-19, CPR and Resuscitation
College of Paramedics
COVID-19 daily alert research bulletin
Public Health England Knowledge and Library Services produce a daily alert containing links to research and news on the latest coronavirus outbreak.
If you would like to receive this email alert, which contains latest research articles and news from government departments, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
They also have created the Finding the evidence: Coronavirus page.
Elearning for Health (ELfH) COVID-19 programme –
part of Health Education England’s elearning suite in partnership with the NHS and Professional Bodies.
20/05/2020 New edition-Issue 81 & COVID-19 Supplement of the SCAS version of the national Prehospital Emergency Services Current Awareness Update
New ebook content added 04/05/20
The cardiovascular system at a glance / Philip I. Aaronson, Jeremy P. T. Ward, Michelle J.
ECG mastery : improving your ECG interpretation skills / Shirley A. Jones. 2020.
ERS handbook : respiratory medicine / editors Paolo Palange, Gernot Rohde. 2019.
The ERS handbook of invasive mechanical ventilation / editors Leo Heunks, Marcus J. Schultz. 2019.
Note you will need a local NHS Athens account to access (register here)
30/03/2020 New ebook content added
Swanwick, T. (2020) ABC of Quality Improvement in Healthcare. Chichester: John Wiley and Sons.
Gregory, D. (2017) Being Human in Safety-Critical Organisations. TSO.
Aaronson, P.I. (2020) The Cardiovascular System at a Glance, 5th ed. Chichester: John Wiley and Sons.
Paige, J.T. (2020) Comprehensive Healthcare Simulation: Interprofessional Team Training and Simulation. Cham: Springer.
Eiff, M., Hatch, R. and Higgins, M. (2020) Fracture management for primary care and emergency medicine. 4th ed. Philadelphia : Elsevier.
Marieb, E.N. (2020) Human Anatomy, 9th Global ed. Harlow: Pearson Education.
Wensing, M. (2020) Improving Patient Care : The Implementation of Change in Health Care, 3rd ed. Chichester: John Wiley and Sons.
Jacobsen, K.(2020) Introduction to Health Research Methods: a practical guide, 3rd ed. Burlington, MA: Jones and Bartlett Learning.
Leedy, P.D. (2020) Practical Research: Planning and Design. Harlow: Pearson Education.
Scott, T. (2020) Sudden Death: Intervention Skills for the Emergency Services. Cham: Springer.
Thompson, G.S. (2020) Understanding Anatomy and Physiology, 3rd ed. Philadelphia: F.A.Davis.
Note you will need a local NHS Athens account to access (register here)
Libraries providing resources & services to SCAS staff & students
Electronic resources are available to all SCAS staff and students irrespective of location and are listed further down the page.
For library support to assist with access and searching available resources:
- The National Library Service for NHS Ambulance Services in England will provide:
– literature searching and general enquiry services,
– article request services,
For any queries about the national service, contact Matt
- Discovery Library, Plymouth will provide:
– access to electronic resources- incl. problems with Athens accounts,
– information skills training and search help,
– resource access queries and requests for new resources,
– urgent literature search services.
For any queries about Discovery Library services, contact the team via online form, email (staffed hours 08.30 – 17.30 Monday – Friday).
Search the NHS healthcare databases:
- AMED- covers topics for allied health professions including paramedics.
- British Nursing Index (BNI)- primarily of use for nurses but also includes allied health,
- CINAHL- international nursing & allied health incl. paramedics
- EMBASE- primarily European biomedicine- particularly good for pharmacology
- EMCARE-international nursing & allied health
- HMIC- health service management & organisation incl grey literature
- MEDLINE- most health topics including pre-hospital care
- PsycINFO- psychology & psychiatry including psychological aspects of trauma/injury
Note- you will need an NHS Athens login.
Databases contain bibliographic records i.e. references. Whilst you won’t have fulltext access to all the articles, for some journals there will be a link to online access.
If an article you need is not available- please consider making an article request.
Evidence Based Practice and CPD
A range of evidence-based resources are available to help inform patient care including:
- BMJ Best Practice (don’t use Internet Explorer, choose alternative browser)
Evidence-based research, guidelines and expert opinion offering step-by-step guidance on diagnosis, prognosis, treatment and prevention across.****Note you will need a local NHS Athens account (register here). On 1st access you’ll be asked to create personal account to download free App***
- BNF and BNF for Children–should work automatically on NHS networked machine, if outside NHS network login with NHS Athens account.
Click here to find out about the free BNF/BNFC App.
- ClinicalKey– clinical insight search tool which also gives access to over 1100 electronic books and 500 journals and other fulltext resources
Note you will need an NHS Athens account (register here).
- Clinical Knowledge Summaries (CKS)– provided by NICE. Summaries of the current evidence base & practical guidance on best practice for >300 primary care presentations, regular updates to all topics and up to 10 new topics each year
- Cochrane Library– collection of databases (details here) containing different types of high-quality, independent evidence such as Systematic Reviews, RCTs and Health Technology Assessments.
- Elearning for Health (ELfH) -Health Education England’s suite of high quality content free of charge training (topics incl. Paramedic programme, COVID-19 programme) in partnership with the NHS and Professional Bodies.
Note you will need a local NHS Athens account (register here)
- NICE Evidence– access to authoritative clinical & non-clinical evidence and best practice through a web-based portal. provided by NICE.
- TRIP Database– clinical search tool designed to allow health professionals to rapidly identify the highest quality clinical evidence for clinical practice.
Selected Prehospital and Emergency Medicine journals below
If we don’t hold your required article may make an article request via the national library service
|Academic Emergency Medicine||1997-|
|Air Medical Journal||2007-|
|American Journal of Emergency Medicine||2007-|
|Annals of Emergency Medicine||2007-|
|British Journal of Healthcare Assistants||2016-|
|Disaster & Military Medicine||2015-|
|Emergency Medicine Australasia||2005-|
|Emergency Medicine Clinics of North America||2007-|
|Emergency Medicine Journal (EMJ)||1984-|
|Health Services Research||2002-|
|International Paramedic Practice||2016-|
|Journal of Emergency Medicine||2007-|
|Journal of Paramedic Practice||2009-|
|Prehospital Emergency Care||1997-|
|Visual Journal of Emergency Medicine||2015-|
Electronic books available to SCAS (OpenAthens password required) are catalogued on SWIMS.
**LIST OF AVAILABLE EBOOKS BY SUBJECT AREA** (SWASFT and SCAS content)
You may find the following useful for keeping up-to-date.
- Prehospital Emergency Services Current Awareness Update (locally edited SCAS version with relevant fulltext links)
Provides a digest of information supporting evidence based practice in pre-hospital, ambulance and emergency services incl. recent research, news and policy items, and relevant reports. Update is commissioned by the National Ambulance Research Steering Group.
- KnowledgeShare – sign up for targeted current awareness service that uses information about your professional interests to generate personalised current awareness bulletins straight to your email.
- Current Awareness bulletins created by the Library & Knowledge Service for NHS Ambulance Services in England
–Emergency Preparedness, Resilience and Response
–Further Research Needed
-Telephone Support in Prehospital Care
- Pinboards for latest prehospital and paramedicine research created by North West Ambulance Service Librarian, Matt Holland. Includes topics such as
- Paramedic Practice,
- Older People and Prehospital Care
- Emergency Preparedness, Resilience and Response
- Feeds for the major journals in prehospital and emergency care
If you have problems accessing any of the content listed on this page please contact email@example.com marking FAO Laura.