This site is maintained and hosted by the lead library for SCAS,
Discovery Library, Derriford Hospital, Plymouth.
To contact Discovery Library click here .
New ebook content added 06/12/18
Schroth, C. and Phillips, P. (2019) 100 cases in UK paramedic practice. Abingdon: Routledge.
Lynn, M. and Lieberman, H. (2019) Disasters and mass casualty incidents: the nuts and bolts of preparedness and response to protracted and sudden onset emergencies. Cham, Switzerland: Springer.
Advanced Life Support Group., Mackway-Jones, K. and Carley, S. (2019) Major incident medical management and support: the practical approach in the hospital. 2nd ed. Chichester: John Wiley and Sons.
Note you will need a local NHS Athens account to access (register here)
16/10/2018 New edition- Issue 63 of the SCAS version of the national Prehospital Emergency Services Current Awareness Update
Libraries providing resources & services to SCAS staff & students
Electronic resources are available to all SCAS staff and students irrespective of location and are listed further down the page.
For library support to assist with access and searching available resources:
- The National Library Service for NHS Ambulance Services in England will provide:
– literature searching and general enquiry services,
– article request services,
For any queries about the national service, contact Matt
- Discovery Library, Plymouth will provide:
– access to electronic resources- incl. problems with Athens accounts,
– information skills training and search help,
– resource access queries and requests for new resources,
– urgent literature search services.
For any queries about Discovery Library services, contact the team via online form, email or ring 01752 439111 (staffed hours 08.30 – 17.30 Monday – Friday).
- Your local NHS library may also be able to offer you some services – see the directory for details.
Search the NHS healthcare databases:
- AMED- covers topics for allied health professions including paramedics.
- British Nursing Index (BNI)- primarily of use for nurses but also includes allied health, CINAHL- international nursing & allied health incl. paramedics
- EMBASE- primarily European biomedicine- particularly good for pharmacology
- Health Business Elite- all aspects of health service management and organisation HMIC- health service management & organisation incl grey literature
- MEDLINE- most health topics including pre-hospital care
- PsycINFO- psychology & psychiatry including psychological aspects of trauma/injury
Note- you will need an NHS Athens login.
Databases contain bibliographic records i.e. references. Whilst you won’t have fulltext access to all the articles, for some journals there will be a link to online access.
If an article you need is not available- please consider making an article request.
Evidence Based Practice and CPD
A range of evidence-based resources are available to help inform patient care including:
- BNF and BNF for Children-should work automatically on NHS networked machine if not login with NHS Athens account.
Also see publicly available NICE version – BNF and BNF for Children
Click here to find out about the free BNF Apps.
- BMJ Learning– over 700 short, interactive e-learning modules on clinical subjects
Note you will need an NHS Athens account (register here). You will also need to complete an initial BMJ Learning registration
- ClinicalKey– clinical insight search tool which also gives access to over 1100 electronic books and 500 journals and other fulltext resources
Note you will need an NHS Athens account (register here).
- Clinical Knowledge Summaries (CKS)– provided by NICE. Summaries of the current evidence base & practical guidance on best practice for >300 primary care presentations, regular updates to all topics and up to 10 new topics each year
- Cochrane Library– collection of databases (details here) containing different types of high-quality, independent evidence such as Systematic Reviews, RCTs and Health Technology Assessments.
- Elearning for Health (ELfH) -Health Education England’s suite of high quality content free of charge training (topics incl. Paramedic programme) in partnership with the NHS and Professional Bodies.
Note you will need a local NHS Athens account (register here)
- NICE Evidence– access to authoritative clinical & non-clinical evidence and best practice through a web-based portal. provided by NICE.
- TRIP Database– clinical search tool designed to allow health professionals to rapidly identify the highest quality clinical evidence for clinical practice.
Direct links to key speciality ejournals are also listed below.
You should always select to login with OpenAthens first
If we don’t hold your required article may make an article request via the national library service
|Academic Emergency Medicine||1997-|
|Air Medical Journal||2007-|
|American Journal of Emergency Medicine||2007-|
|Annals of Emergency Medicine||2007-|
|British Journal of Healthcare Assistants||2015-|
|Disaster & Military Medicine||2015-|
|Emergency Medicine Australasia||2005-|
|Emergency Medicine Clinics of North America||2007-|
|Emergency Medicine Journal (EMJ)||1984-|
|Health Services Research||2002-|
|Journal of Emergency Medicine||2007-|
|Journal of Paramedic Practice||2009-|
|Prehospital Emergency Care||1997-|
|Visual Journal of Emergency Medicine||2015-|
Electronic books available to SCAS (OpenAthens password required) are catalogued on SWIMS.
**LIST OF AVAILABLE EBOOKS BY SUBJECT AREA** (SWASFT and SCAS content)
You may find the following useful for keeping up-to-date.
- Prehospital Emergency Services Current Awareness Update (locally edited SCAS version with relevant fulltext links)
Provides a digest of information supporting evidence based practice in pre-hospital, ambulance and emergency services incl. recent research, news and policy items, and relevant reports. Update is commissioned by the National Ambulance Research Steering Group.
- Current Awareness bulletins created by the Library & Knowledge Service for NHS Ambulance Services in England
–Emergency Preparedness, Resilience and Response
–Further Research Needed
-Telephone Support in Prehospital Care
- Pinboards for latest prehospital and paramedicine research created by North West Ambulance Service Librarian, Matt Holland. Includes topics such as
- Paramedic Practice,
- Older People and Prehospital Care
- Emergency Preparedness, Resilience and Response
- Feeds for the major journals in prehospital and emergency care
- NICE apps for smartphones and tablets (iOS and Android)
-BNF for Children (BNFC)
If you have problems accessing any of the content listed on this page please contact email@example.com marking FAO Laura.